Wills and Trusts
HOW TO SAY "YES"
TO GOD'S CALL
How would you complete the following sentence? “If all obstacles were removed, I would spend my time…”
It may be tempting to shrug this question off as trivial or farfetched, but it can actually help you identify what God has placed in your heart – a hidden passion, value or calling. What if you could say “yes” to that thing?
1. Pray. Jeremiah 29:13 says if we seek the Lord with our whole heart, we’ll find Him and His will.
2. Ask questions that reveal vocation. What were you doing when you felt most alive? At the end of your life, what things would make you say “that was a life well lived?”
3. Don’t minimize or dismiss what comes to mind. Asking these questions may feel selfish but it’s good, significant work. St. Irenaeus said, “The glory of God is man fully alive.” Write down what you hear deep inside.
4. Get practical. What do you need to adjust in order to make room for what God is calling you to?
5. Take a step. Identify where the world’s greatest needs and your greatest passions intersect – then take action.
In his book Love Does, author Bob Goff shares how saying yes has transformed his life. He concludes, “I think God’s hope and plan for us is pretty simple to figure out… add your whole life, your loves, your passions, and your interests together with what God said He wants us to be about, and that’s your answer.” Scripture reveals God “wants us to be about” loving Him and others well, exercising good stewardship and seeking Him to help us grow. No matter what God is calling you to, here are some steps you can take toward saying yes:
During this process you may discover your values and passions align with the work of Sunday Breakfast Mission. Taking a step may include remembering us in prayer or in your Will. Another creative way could be by giving appreciated stock. It’s a simple, practical way to exercise good stewardship, fulfill a personal passion and create eternal impact. All you have to do is contact your brokerage firm to get started. What is God uniquely calling you to?
For the full version of this article, ask for a FREE copy of “Making Choices that Make a Difference” by simply contacting Rev. Tom Laymon (302) 656-8542, ext. 103 or firstname.lastname@example.org - or bless your family today with a God-honoring Will at www.christianwill.org/sbm